It’s not every day you get a rainy day in St. George. But when it does rain, all the locals dig out their comfiest crew necks and head to Perks for a cocoa or a chai tea – despite the fact that it’s still 80 degrees out. For us, this is sweater weather (as I write, meanwhile wrapped in my favorite sweater pictured above).
Our office has a bit of a caffeine affinity, as I’m sure most can relate. Lately, we’ve been indulging on chai teas and decided we could concoct an all natural recipe, rather than worry about the harmful chemicals and unnatural ingredients found in most store bought mixes.
This recipe can also be adjusted for vegan preferences. I chose to use vanilla almond milk for my base, but you can choose whatever dairy/non dairy creamer of your liking.
Hope you enjoy!
- 2 cups water
- 2-3 bags of black tea or 1 heaping Tbs loose leaf black tea
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- Sweetener of choice – i.e. cane sugar, maple syrup, agave syrup, vanilla creamer, honey, etc.
- 1 cup dairy or non-dairy milk – more to taste – I prefer almond milk in all of my latte type drinks
- coconut whipped cream for my vegan friends, or just regular whipped cream will do
- 1/2 cup raw cashews soaked in cool water over night or in hot water for an hour before preparing chai tea. This is an optional step, but I highly recommend it because it makes the latte creamier and richer.
- Add water, tea and spices to a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce to low and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add milk and preferred sweetener. Stir and allow to warm for 2-3 minutes off the heat.
- If you decided to add the cashews, pour both the tea mixture and cashews into a blender and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings/sweeteners to desired flavor.
- Pour from blender into 2 mugs. Top with whipped cream, a dash of cinnamon, and a cinnamon stick for the aesthetic.